Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

The Himeville Fort and Museum is reputed to be one of the best rural museums in the country. Not only because of the beautiful surroundings in which it is housed but because of the wide range of exhibitions and artifacts it offers. From fossils and stone age implements to comprehensive displays on Rock Art of the Bushmen and also  the early white settlers, the museum has permanent exhibitions featuring traditional African beadwork and other artifacts, an old Post Office and telephone exchange, schoolroom of the past, a blacksmith's forge, a workshop with wonderfully preserved old tools - some of which are still in use today - and a military room with a display that includes items from the Anglo Boer war and the two World Wars. There is a trout fishing display, natural history rooms and a wonderful ethnobotanical garden which features medicinal plants native to the area. Old farming equipment is displayed throughout the Museum grounds and there is also a wonderful wagon shed with some amazing carts and wagons to see.

The Museum is set up in the old fort or laager, the last of its kind to be built in South Africa. Built by the Border Mounted Rifles who were sent to police the area after the Le Fleur rebellion of 1895, work started in 1896 and was completed in 1899. The building was only used a fort once, in 1906, during the time of the Bambata rebellion although no fighting took place in the area. In 1902, after the Anglo Boer war,  the stone building was taken over by the Natal Mounted Police who then converted it into a prison by the addition of a warder's house, cells and other rooms, a magistrate's court (which still operates today) and a magistrate's house a short distance away. The stone for the work was obtained from the Drakensberg quarry and was dressed by Scottish masons.

The prison operated for 70 years and at the end of March 1972, when the last of the prisoners were moved to Bulwer Prison, the building was left disused.

A few years later, in 1976, a group of interested people under the auspices of the local historical society, was granted permission by the Public Works Department to lease the buildings and the building was brought back to life and the Museum formed. The building itself was declared a National Monument in 1978 and the Museum officially opened in the early 1980's.

The Museum is a commemoration of the way of life of of the people of the Himeville, Underberg and Bulwer areas and exhibitions are continually refreshed as the need arises. The Museum also puts on a number of temporary exhibits during the year which cover current topics.

The Museum is overseen by a Board of Trustees, run on a day to day basis by a Curator, Assistant Curator and Caretaker and is affiliated to Museum Services who fall under the Department of Arts and Culture.